Fun to make and fun to eat, these gluten-free churro apple hand pies make tasty desserts or special snacks!
- 1 package of GeeFree Puff Pastry Dough
- gluten-free flour for dusting
- 2 tablespoons (half stick) butter, unsalted
- 4 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- 1/4 cup sanding sugar or sparkling sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- sandwich sealer
- Bring puff pastry dough to room temperature. Heat oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add apples, both sugars, lemon juice, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Dust counter with gluten-free flour. Take puff pastry dough and roll it out to approximately 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut into rounds or squares. Then take about 1 to 2 tablespoons of filling and put in the center of the dough. Brush edges with egg wash and place another round on top. Press edges tightly. You can use a cut and seal press as well.
- Place on a sheet pan with parchment paper. Brush tops with egg wash, and then top with sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
You can freeze and reheat as needed. Heat oven to 375°F and bake until internal temp of 165°F is reached, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 10-15 pies