1 Geefree puff pastry
21 oz can gluten-free apple pie filling (or any GF fruit filling)
2 Tbsp whipped cream (can use fresh or canned)
spices to taste for sprinkling on fruit filling, e.g., cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice (optional)
coconut sugar for sprinkling
powdered sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll pastry on parchment paper to the desired size.
- Using knife, cut strips approximately 1” apart on both sides of pastry leaving about 3” of pastry whole in the center. If they’re not perfectly even, don’t worry about it…it will still taste amazing!
- Put pie filling from end to end in the center of the pastry.
- Sprinkle spices on filling, e.g., cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice.
- Wrap each piece of pastry up and over filling…it’s okay to overlap if needed.
- Piece ends together so filling doesn’t leak out when baking.
- Brush outside of pastry with whipped cream and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
- Transfer strudel onto cookie sheet (leaving parchment paper under it).
- Bake until golden brown. Watch closely in your oven as cooking time may differ if your oven cooks “hot!” It took 40 minutes in my oven to reach the desired doneness.
- Cool on rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar “just before serving” and serve with whatever you like…berries, ice cream…both!
Note: Can be stored in refrigerator (if there are any leftovers) for up to 4 days. If it has been refrigerated, I like to heat it for about 30 seconds in the microwave or 10 minutes in oven at 325 degrees.
The recipe was provided by:
Shellee Gero in Clifton, New Jersey