This gluten-free figs in a blanket recipe takes classic pigs in a blanket to a whole new level. You’ll love this sweet and savory snack!
- 1 package of GeeFree Puff Pastry Dough
- gluten-free flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (less or more depending on your desired spice level)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- 24 Mission figs, dried (medium or large), stems trimmed, halved
- 7 oz goat cheese, plain or herbed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- sesame seeds or poppy seeds for topping (optional)
- Bring dough to room temperature. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Make figs first. Stir vinegar, honey, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and water in a medium sauce pan. Add figs and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until figs are softened, liquid has almost evaporated, and it is a syrupy consistency, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Dust the countertop with gluten-free flour. Take puff pastry dough and roll it out to approximately 1/8-inch thick. Cut dough into 2 1/2 x 1-inch pieces, and brush the ends with egg wash.
- Take one fig and about 1/2 teaspoon of goat cheese, place them at the bottom, and roll. Place seam side down on top of a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
You can freeze and reheat as needed. Heat oven to 375°F and bake until internal temp of 165°F is reached, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 25-35 pieces