Make this gluten-free caged puff pastry apple recipe for the holidays — or for any special occasion!
- 1 Package of GeeFree Puff Pastry Dough
- Gluten-Free flour for dusting
- 2 Apples, peeled, cored, and halved
- 2 Tbsp Butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Coarse Sugar
- 1 Egg, for egg wash
- Bring dough to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Dust the countertop. Take dough and fold in half then half again. Roll it out to approximately ¼” thick.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal squares.
- Make 3 vertical 1” cuts in between the edge of the uncut side and then 2 slits on the cut sides.
- Make 2 vertical 1” cuts under the top slit and above the bottom slit.
- Repeat this pattern until you have 6 rows with 3 cuts and 5 rows with slits and 2 cuts (Or use a pie lattice cutter).
- Take one square and place on sheet pan, then put one of the apple halves in the center, peeled side facing up. Brush egg wash on each side of the square around the apple.
- Combine the butter, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl. Brush over the apple until its completely coated. Take the other cut square of dough and stretch (carefully) it over the apple.
- Pinch the bottom of the dough together to seal.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- Bake apples for 30-40 minutes until browned.