Whether you prefer baking or frying, these gluten-free pecan hand pies are the perfect sweet treat!
- 1 package of GeeFree Puff Pastry Dough
- gluten-free flour for dusting
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 eggs, large
- 5 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, pure
- 1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- vegetable oil for frying
- Bring dough to room temperature. Heat oil to 375°F.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, eggs, butter and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the pecans. Simmer for about 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Dust counter with gluten free flour. Take dough and roll it out to approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut into rounds or squares then take about a tablespoon of filling and put in the center of the dough. Brush edges with egg wash and place another round on top. Press edges tightly. You can use a cut and seal press as well.
- Fry in oil for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- After pies are formed, place on a greased sheet pan and egg wash the tops.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 10-15 pies
Sandwich sealer optional