Cook time 35- 40 minutes
- 4-5 apples, preferably golden delicious
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 sheets frozen GeeFree puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- gluten-free flour for dusting (I use tapioca starch or brown rice flour)
- Mend the two sheets of puff pastry together by applying a little egg wash and overlapping the two pieces by ½ inch. Roll pastry out to ¼ inch thickness using a little gluten free-flour to prevent any sticking.
- Place the rim of a medium frying pan (approximately 9 inches, with heat proof or removable handle) over the puff pastry and cut to fit. Return puff pastry to refrigerator until needed.
- Peel apples. Slice in half lengthwise and cut each into 2 thick wedges. Remove seeds.
- Melt butter in frying pan. Stir in sugar and arrange apples neatly to fill the bottom of the pan. Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes or until apples have caramelized and juices have become thick, dark, and syrupy. (Cooking time will depend on the moisture content of the apples.)
- Place puff pastry over the apples and tuck the excess down the sides. Pierce the center of the puff pastry with 2 knife holes, then brush with egg wash.
- Place pan in a pre-heated oven (425F) and cook for 20 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden.
- Allow to cool slightly, then invert onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped cream if desired.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Jason Roberts in partnership with GeeFree